Sunday 4 March 2007

Another Mass Casualty




There is something about Saturday nights or Sunday mornings that just don't go over so well. I had the day off yesterday and I was going to get some things done. I did sort off but I realy needed the time to relax. I fell asleep at 400 and didn't wake up until 730. So i was up for about 10 minutes and the pager went off....................damn. Anyway I got to the hospital and they told us that there were 9 coming in. I guess it wasn't a typical mass casualty but there was enough coming in that almost every one and their dogs were there. The patients came in and most of them were in stable condition............except one of them. If you were thinking of the injuries that he had, well he had them all. Missing leg, other one shattered beyond repair. two mangles arms. fractured skull and fractured face (a lefort class II, for you medical folk). He was losing so much blood that they truely couldn't keep up. one of the docs said that he hasn't seen anyone take this much blood product before. In the first picture i am pushing the fluid and the blood to the patient. Its pretty cool, col but nerve wrecking wondering if you are doing it right. The second picture is me doing my facial thing again, i think that it was during the Craniotomy. and well the last picture is again home away from home. That is GREEN BEANS the coffee house by the hospital. I went there last night and got alot of coffee's for the OR staff becuase it would be a long night. The setting in there is great.Off to the left there is a sitting area with chess boards and they play the coolest music.
Anyway i am getting ready to go back to work. I didn't stay for the outcome of the patient last night because i am working the next 7 days straight but i guess i will find out soon enough
CHOW

2 comments:

Kyla Blois said...

you know i wish i could see those bloody pics!! your missing weird weather here....last night, massive snow storm, woke up to beautiful sunshine and about 10 degrees...tonight i left kerris at 130 am and on the way home..massive lightening storm!!!! crazy

Mario's said...

I wanted to say thanks for updating your Blog and keeping us informed of your progress. The way things are shaping up, you'll be needing lots of Green beans...you know what I'm saying!

Heard about the death of a Canadian reservist on KAF. Details here, are still sketchy about the events surrounding his death.

You guys keep up the good work and keep safe!

Mario