Wednesday 7 March 2007

The First Ramp Ceremony


You have probably all read in the news about the fallen soldier. Yesterday was a crazy day. We did 5 cases and then we had a little boy come in and we had to do another brain Surgery. All was good and it was almost time to pack it in when..............Four Canadians carrying a stretcher come in. It was all so surreal and fast. It was in the evening so there were not too many people around but good thing the surgeon was still there. I was beside the Doc the whole time in the trauma bay and was a part of it all. I was handing him the instruments as he was trying to save his life. I knew that I would be here for the worst but I NEVER thought that I would be that close to it. I was standing right beside the Doc when he asked for silence and "called the death" For a second I thought that it was only in the movies and tv but it was sooooooo real. The padre was there and the hospital was in utter silence.
Accidents happen and that is too bad. I remember thinking as I was cleaning up blood that someone is outside telling his buddies that he didn't make it.....................Now someone had to tell his family.
I was off today and I spent alot of time reflecting on what I saw. I just got back from the Ramp Ceremony. That is where they carry his casket into a plane and "Bring him Home"
It was again another experience that I will never forget. The image in my head right now is one of the ball bearers...............he was one of the guys that brought him in last night. They played Amazing Grace on the Bagpipes.
That song will always remind me on my First Ramp Ceremony.
Good night

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Tough one Crystal, I just finished reading about it in the paper and right away came to your site to see if you had written about it. You guys have been busy, it's pretty crazy huh. Take care of yourself...thinking of you guys, say hi to everyone for me.

Lindsay

Pete said...

yeah, that was a tough one. Keep it up, we're proud of you.

Joe Salazar said...

Hey Cool...
Lil Joe here.
I hear you load & clear.
Stay strong and play some Old school music for me.
joe

Amanda said...

When I read about it in the paper I knew you would have been there. Taking time to reflect is a very smart idea. A

Mario's said...

Hoping the boys and gals both inside and outside the wire will be safe. You guys keep doing what you do best. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you!

Mario